YOUTH SUMMIT on Advocacy
PASC is inviting Pennsylvania high schools to send four students to Harrisburg on Thursday, February 20, 2014 for a Student Summit on Personal and Organizational Advocacy.
The summit will focus on these objectives:
• What advocacy is and why it is important
• How to determine what students should advocate both at a personal and organization level
• How to advocate by mobilizing others in the school and community and by utilizing resources
These students should have an awareness of and an interest in school, community, state and national issues. The selection of the four students does not need to be limited to Student Council leaders but could also include interested students from National Honor Society, class government, and your school’s Social Studies department.
The Summit process is designed around these components:
1. Research on a local, state, or national issue of interest prior to the Summit
2. Presentation on advocacy and how it can be implemented via student organizations
3. Coaching by a team of recent college graduates who specialize in advocacy
4. Development of advocacy action plans by student participants
5. Presentation of student advocacy action plans
6. Refinement of student action plans based on feedback during presentations
7. Student participants would also be encouraged to make presentations to other student organizations in their schools.
The entire program will take place within the Capitol in Harrisburg. There is no cost to the students or to the faculty sponsor or parent who accompany students to Harrisburg other than the cost of lunch, which is on your own at the many options around the capitol.
Applications are due by February 1, 2014.
As part of the application process, students will need to select from one of these three categories: local, state or national issues. Students must submit a brief description of an issue that they feel deserves greater attention or a new perspective. This will serve as the foundation for the advocacy plan that students will develop at the Summit.
If you have any questions about this opportunity for your high school students, please do not hesitate to email us at PASCyouthsummit@aol.com or call Nancy Brady at 610-775-0682.