PASC CIVIC ENGAGEMENT PROJECT 2017
PASC STUDENT LEADERS CAN CONDUCT A MEANINGFUL CIVIC ENGAGEMENT PROJECT IN THEIR SCHOOLS THIS FALL BY:
1. Encouraging everyone who is 18 or older to be sure to register to vote before the October 10, 2017 DEADLINE.
- Speak with your American Government or Senior High History teachers to enlist help
- Speak with your Buildings Support Staff (cafeteria, maintenance, secretarial members)
- Conduct a Voter Registration Drive during Senior Social Studies classes and during lunch periods for one week the end of September
2. Remind all that registering to vote requirements are.
-be a least 18 by Nov. 7, 2017
-be a resident of their home for at least 30 days
-be a U.S. Citizen
3. Provide Voter Registration forms for your Project at your student council office, also in the front office of your school bldg., in addition to having them available to hand out during your drive the last week of Sept.
(Your committee can obtain forms from your county Voter Registration Office OR you can down load the forms online for Pa.)
4. Emphasize THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT ELECTION; in addition to your local municipal races, you have 1 Pa. Justice of the Supreme Court, 4 Pa. Judges of the Superior Court, and 2 Judges of the Commonwealth Court to be elected in November.
Also: There is a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION ON THE BALLOT THAT NEEDS AN ANSWER:
"Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended to permit the General Assembly to enact legislation authorizing local taxing authorities to exclude from taxation up to 100% of the assessed value of each homestead property with a local taxing jurisdiction, rather than limit the exclusion to 1/2 of the median assessed value of all homestead property which is the existing law?"
Your Civic Engagement committee may want to invite a county tax assessment official, school superintendent, school business manager or a state representative or state senator into your American Government classes or student council meeting to explain how your school could be affected by this proposed amendment.
60. 2% of the voting eligible population in the U.S. cast a ballot in the presidential election of 2016. Can Pa. turn out a greater no. to vote in Nov. 2017?
PASC Student Leaders, let's conduct an early FALL VOTER REGISTATION DRIVE & GET OUT THE VOTE CAMPAIGN FOR ELECTION 2017 !!!
REMINDER: DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS OCTOBER 10.......GENERAL ELECTION DAY IS TUESDAY, NOV. 7, 2017.